Thursday, April 16, 2009

Fabric Softener


Last summer I knocked the fabric softener dispenser off the wringer in my washer. I was astonished to find a waxy muck resembling the wax ring from a toilet. I soaked the dispenser in Industrial strength paint thinner for two days and kept shaking out all this black waxy gunk...needless to say, it was disgusting.


I did some checking into it to find there are all sorts of health issues associated with commercial fabric softeners so I decided to make my own. I use a 22 oz bottle of Suave Conditioner (fragrance of your choice), Vinegar and water. First, I pour out all the conditioner into a large bowl then I refill the bottle twice with vinegar stirring each into the conditioner slowly to incorporate. I found if you just dump it all in the bottle and shake you have problems with foam that never seems to go away. Then I add two bottles full of water to the mix and either pour it all into an old fabric softener container (as you see in the photo) or I pour it into the used vinegar bottle. I use the same capful from my fabric softener container or about 1/4 c per load.


Here are the costs

22.5 oz Suave about $1.97

1 gal white vinegar about $2.00 (makes about 2 1/2 batches)

water (minimal to free)




This does about 120 loads. Making the cost about $.02/load.
Note: During the winter, I have more static than normal (even with my old store purchased fabric softener) so I roll up a little ball of aluminum foil and throw it in the dryer and it seems to do the trick.




No comments:

Post a Comment