Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mulch Border











As you can see, the Swan’s neck has not broken (again it did once). So I won’t be planting my garden yet.





Okay, today I am mulching around the front border in front of the house. Well, what is supposed to be the "front" of the house, not that we use it much. As you can see, we have cut the two rose bushes back to nearly nothing. According to the previous owner, she was told they would be much smaller. They kept getting bigger and have totally ruined the screens on River's windows not to mention the fact that if we had to use the windows as an emergency escape, jumping in to two rose bushes is not the most appealing.

So I decided today that I would go ahead and dig them up as a part of my mulching project. I got one dug up but the other will have to wait until Kerry gets home. I will see if he can get the bobcat andf use a chain to pull it up. If not, I will give it a go myself tomorrow but he is much better on the machine than I am.

Here are the steps for my border mulching:


1. Use old newspaper as ground cover. As you can see I keep a spare trash can in the garage all winter and save all my old newspapers. I throw out all the shiny ads as they don't compost well. Then I use the newspapers for many different things such as liners in the fridge, food for the wormies and mulching...I digress, back to mulching. I have to mention that River picked up the top paper this morning and said "I found Obabma". I looked in and sure enough there was a photo of him smack dab on the top.....She amazes me.
2. Remove any debris from the area and lay the papers down. You can make them as thick or thin as you choose, just remember they go pretty quickly if you make them thicker. I picked up the stepping stones and then replaced them on the paper before mulching.
3. Add mulch. I had my husband go out to the dump where they mulch up old pallets. He got a yard of mulch for $20...pretty cheap but I think he will have to grab me another load as I am running low. I sprinkled the mulch over the pavers and newspaper and spread it out. You can still see the newspaper in some spots but I will give it a couple of days to settle and let the rain wash it down some then I will add some more mulch.





No comments:

Post a Comment